Electric Programs Engineering
The Engineering Standards Branch (ESB) within the Office of Customer Service and Technical Assistance (OCSTA) is responsible for engineering aspects of the Electric Programs' standards, specifications, and other requirements with respect to design, construction, technical operation, maintenance of power plants, distribution and transmission systems and facilities, and asset management practices such as load management, energy efficiency, smart grid and system communications.
The staff in ESB develops engineering practices, policies, standards, and guidelines relating to electric borrowers systems; conducts analyses and provides guidance on matters relating to fuels for electric generating stations; and develops relevant policies and procedures for the Electric Programs. The staff develops criteria, procedures, and analysis for improvement of the operating performance of electric borrowers and for the forecasting of borrowers' power requirements.
The Technical Standards Committee "A", also within OCSTA, publishes and maintains a list of accepted materials for use on RUS electric borrower systems:
- How to apply for Acceptance
- RUS List of Materials - Specific Information Requirements Sheets
- List of Eligible Countries
- "Buy American" Requirement (7 CFR 1787)
- List of Materials (Microsoft Word or Adobe pdf)
- Technical List (Microsoft Word or Adobe pdf)
For more information, contact the Chair of Technical Standards Committee "A": Norris.Nicholson@usda.gov or call (202)720-1979.
Links to other RUS Engineering:
- SPARKS - Electric News
- Design Certification Form
- Electric Program Streamlining
- Engineering Seminar Presentations
- Electric Sample Documents