Circuit Rider Program - Technical Assistance for Rural Water Systems
What does this program do?
This program provides technical assistance to rural water systems that are experiencing day-to-day operational, financial or managerial issues. Rural water system officials may request assistance from the Rural Utilities Service, or Rural Utilities Service staff may request assistance on behalf of the system.
Who are the Circuit Riders?
- Rural Utilities Service has contracted with the National Rural Water Association who are experienced in managing issues that may arise in the day-to-day operations of rural water systems.
- Circuit Riders provide service in each State and U.S. Territory
- A list of the State Affiliates is available online. Visit a State’s website to contact the Circuit Riders in that state https://nrwa.org/state-associations/
What is an eligible project area?
- Check eligible addresses.
On what topics can the Circuit Rider assist?
- Day-to-day operational issues
- Financial issues
- Management issues
- Energy audits
Is there a time limit on the assistance?
Assistance is provided on an as-needed basis.
How do we get started?
- Contact your local RD office or National Rural Water Association State Association for details on circuit rider assistance.
How can I become a Circuit Rider?
You may visit www.nrwa.org for more information.
What governs this program?
- A contract between the Rural Utilities Service and the National Rural Water Association.
- Section 306(a)(22)(B) of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act (7 U.S.C. 1926(a)(22)(B)), as amended.
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
The program helps the Rural Utilities Service better meet statutory and regulatory oversight requirements for loans, loan guarantees and grants to rural water systems in need of short-term technical assistance.
There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
There are currently no events scheduled.
Rural Utilities Service